Helena Chemical Company has acquired two new locations in Shelbyville and Carthage that will be used for a $3 million expansion of the company’s fertilizer operations. Up to 20 people will be employed at the two sites.
At Shelbyville, liquid fertilizer and chemical storage buildings are in place, and construction will begin in January on offices. The Carthage site, which is nearly completed, will have a new dry fertilizer storage building and offices. Both sites will serve farmers in Shelby, Rush, Johnson, Henry, Decatur and Hancock counties.
The Shelbyville location will be branch headquarters, and Carthage will be the satellite location.
To commemorate the expansion, Helena will host an open house from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 15 and 16 at the Carthage dry fertilizer facility. Lunch will be served both days.
Jan. 17, a customer appreciation meeting will be held from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at Grand Casino/Indiana Downs in Shelbyville. Dinner will be served and noted grain trader Jody Lawrence will make a presentation. Helena representatives will then outline products and services offered by the company.
Some of the products and services include the company’s exclusive AGRIntelligence® precision ag products such as HyGround ®, InSpex®, TruYield® and OnPoint®. The programs are designed to help producers utilize precision ag techniques for more efficient production.
Helena Chemical Company is a national distributor of crop production inputs and services including crop protection chemicals, seed, fertilizer and related services.
The company was formed in 1957 in West Helena, Ark., and is now headquartered in Collierville, Tenn., near Memphis.
In major agricultural regions across the country, Helena services customers from approximately 350 sales locations.
Outside of agriculture, Helena’s Specialty Division serves golf course, forestry, industrial, and turf and ornamental markets.
Helena’s stated goal is to be the “preferred link between suppliers and customers to those who grow goods and fiber and manage vegetation.”